About Rovos Rail
Rovos Rail combines luxury travel with the chance to experience living history.
Its carriages have been restored to their Edwardian grandeur, making them the ideal environment for enjoying the scenery of Southern Africa.
Rovos Rail routes
An exciting variety of routes is possible on Rovos Rail and all journeys are available in reverse too, whether you'd like to travel between Cape Town and Victoria Falls, Cape Town and Dar es Salaam, or even Pretoria and Walvis Bay.
The most popular route for Rovos Rail trains is the route between Cape Town and Pretoria or vice-versa, passing through South Africa's winelands, and places such as Paarl, the Great Karoo desert, the diamond mining region around Kimberley and the restored Victorian village of Matjiesfontein.
For international ( and local! ) travelers, a trip on the Rovos Rail can easily be incorporated into a safari in the Kruger National Park, Madikwe or a visit to Durban, Zululand and Victoria Falls near Livingstone. Please ask us for details.
Levels of service
Rovos has two trains, complete with restaurant cars. observation carriages and sleeping compartments.
Each train carries a maximum of 72 guests and offers three types of accommodation:
- Royal suites: offer plenty of room. Each suite is air-conditioned and has its own private lounge and bathroom with Victorian bath and separate shower. They can accommodate two people and offer the choice of side-by-side twin or spacious double beds.
- Deluxe suites: are spacious and can accommodate two passengers in either twin or double beds. They feature a lounge and en suite bathroom with shower.
- Pullman suites: these are equipped with a sofa-seat during the day, which can be converted to double or twin beds for the evening, and have an en suite bathroom with shower.
Train journey questions and answers
Q. Does Rovos Rail run all year round?
Yes, the trains run throughout the year, although the journeys are more limited during winter months (July - September). Some routes are seasonal.
Q. Are all meals, drinks and excursions included in the price?
All meals and drinks whilst on the train are included, as are any excursions unless stated otherwise. See packages and specials for further details.
Q. Are there sittings for meals?
On Rovos Rail there is one sitting in the formal dining carriage. A jacket and tie for men is required at dinner time.
Q. Can you take children?
Children are allowed but parents need to be aware that parts of the journey may not be "child friendly" and it may be difficult to keep them entertained. It is not recommended for very young children.
Q. What is the dress code on board?
During the day, casual wear is fine. At dinner, a jacket and tie for men is required.
Q. Are there showers on board?
There are showers in all rooms.
Q. Will I require visas for my trip?
Please ask your reservations specialist for details regarding journeys where the train will be going across borders.
What are Rovos Rails Routes?
- Pretoria-Cape Town
- Pretoria-Victoria Falls
- Pretoria-Walvis Bay
- GOLF SAFARI Pretoria-Pretoria
- COLLAGE Pretoria-Cape Town
- DAR Cape Town-Dar es Salaam
- ANGOLA Dar es Salaam-Lobito